A number of PHD positions are available with Danny Hughes in the Netherlands.
Wireless Sensor Networks are expected to play a key role in future Internet architectures and the Internet of Things. The DistriNet research group of the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven wishes to expand its Wireless Sensor Network (WSN) research team. You will play a key role in a highly integrated team, which has a strong and growing research profile in the area of middleware and software development support for WSN. Three positions are available, starting immediately.
Possible Research Topics:
• System-level support for realizing WSN applications that are reliable and reconfigurable from the lowest-levels of the network stack to the application layer.
• Development-time support for building autonomic and reconfigurable applications for networked embedded systems and sensor networks.
• Distributed component based software engineering approaches for networked heterogeneous networked embedded systems such as sensors, smart phones and web pads.
Profile & Skills:
• The student must demonstrate significant enthusiasm for, and knowledge of the subject area based upon their previous education, work and research experience.
• A master degree in Computer Science or Informatics with previous experience in: Distributed Systems, Middleware, Embedded Systems or related areas.
• A team player with the capability to work in an international research team.
• Proficiency in English and excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
DistriNet is an international research group with extensive expertise in secure and distributed software – obviously including middleware . Research on software engineering techniques is performed in both domains on a wide range of topics such as middleware for cloud computing, internet architectures, network and software security, embedded systems and multi-agent systems. Embedded in the department of Computer Science of the K.U.Leuven, DistriNet has a headcount of over 70 researchers of which 9 professors and 15 Post-Docs.
DistriNet has a tradition of application driven research often in close collaboration with industry partners. Currently DistriNet is actively involved in about 35 national and international research projects, ranging from fundamental over strategic-basic to applied research. More information on projects and publications can be found at the IBBT-DistriNet web pages: http://distrinet.cs.kuleuven.be.
The three open positions are situated within a team that has been established to provide software development support for Wireless Sensor Networks.
Key words: Internet of Things (IoT), Networked Embedded Systems, Wireless Sensor Networks (WSN), Middleware, Component Based Softwa
Latest application date: 2011-12-31
Type of Position: scholarship
Source of Funding: IWT
Duration of the Project : 4 years
Research group: Department of Computer Science
To apply you should send your:
• Curriculum Vitae
• Relevant research experience
• Study curriculum with rankings
• English proficiency (for foreign students)
• Pdf of diploma and transcripts (translation if necessary)
• Names (and e-mail) of 2 reference persons and the nature of contact with them
By e-mail to Danny Hughes: danny.hughes at cs.kuleuven.be
Informal inquiries: Danny Hughes (danny.hughes at cs.kuleuven.be)
Between 2011-11-01 and 2012-31-04