The initial design for a sensor mote puts three temperature sensors together with an Arduino and short-range radio module.
The following is the parts list for a single sensor mote:
- Arduino Uno — £18.50
- Arduino XBee shield — £12.10
- Arduino Series 2 2mW XBee radio module — £17.50
- Arduino prototype shield — £10.40
- Mini-breadboard — £2.00
- 3 x DS18B20 one-wire digital temperature sensor — £11.70
- Battery holder — £1.20
- Enclosure (waterproof, resealable food box) — £3.50
A total of £76.90 (+ VAT) per sensor, not including assorted wires and resistors.
[UPDATED 11Jul2013: added cost of enclosure]